An historic Portland elementary school building that has been converted by McMenamins into a destination with bars, a restaurant, hotel, movie theater, soaking pool, gift shop, and brewery. Artwork and historical artwork covers the walls, ceilings, and doors in a manner that has become common among McMenamin locations.
- Location: 5736 N.E. 33rd Ave, Portland, OR 97211
- Phone: Local- (503) 249-3983, Elsewhere- (888) 249-3983
The Kennedy School in Northeast Portland opened in 1915. At the time the elementary school's location was considered remote, with the end of the nearest streetcar line being three blocks away. The city line, in fact, was only eight blocks away at Northeast 42nd Ave. There was just 29 students in attendance the first year.
The school took on other roles in the neighborhood as time went by, serving as a space for public meetings, polling place, Red Cross blood drawing center, paper and tin can drives, playground, and food-relief shelter.
Due to declining enrollment and the aging of the building, school official closed Kennedy at the end of the 1974-75 school year. Through the efforts of neighbors, former students, past PTA presidents, and the Portland Development Commission the building was saved from demolition, though. This allowed the building to survive over the years and several proposals were made to revive the property. The McMenamin brothers made one such proposal and in the spring of 1997 they started their renovations with the opening day being in October of that year. 
- http://www.mcmenamins.com/104-kennedy-school-history/ Kennedy School History | Accessed 6/19/14