PortlandWiki talk:Community Portal
Notice: For all discussions from 2009, including the initial planning discussions, please see the Archives.
Civic wiki and stuff
- ArborWiki uses: http://arborwiki.org/city/Special:Version
- CantonWiki uses: http://cantonwiki.org/Special:Version
- RichmondWiki uses: http://www.richmondwiki.org/wiki/Special:Version
- Blomingpedia uses: http://www.bloomingpedia.org/wiki/Special:Version
- USSFwiki uses: http://wiki.ussf2010.org/wiki/Special:Version
- Dreamfish uses: http://network.dreamfish.com/wiki/Special:Version
- WikiIndex uses: http://wikiindex.org/Special:Version
- FortWiki uses: http://fortwiki.com/Special:Version
- KansasCity wikia uses: http://kansascity.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Version
- Hiroshima wiki uses: http://ja.hiroshimawiki.com/wiki/%E7%89%B9%E5%88%A5:%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3%E6%83%85%E5%A0%B1
- Wikitravel uses: http://wikitravel.org/en/Special:Version
- Aachen wikia uses: http://aachen.wikia.com/wiki/Spezial:Version
- Euguen neighbor wiki - http://wiki.eugeneneighbors.org/wiki/Special:Version
PDXWW January meeting
Some of us met at this month's WikiWednesday and conspired nefariously in secret (public) behind closed doors (a space open to anyone who's interested) about PortlandWiki. A casual-style log of the gathering can be found here. -kotra (talk) 07:18, 9 January 2010 (UTC)
New proposal: facets
There's a new proposal for a feature/process wherein people could create pages for their own points of view on any topic. If you have 10 or 15 minutes to spare, check out the proposal at PortlandWiki:Facets, and give your comments on the talk page. Thanks! -kotra (talk) 03:31, 19 February 2010 (UTC)
Just wanted to mention that I've added a couple "namespace aliases", which are shortcuts: PW:Logo will take you to PortlandWiki:Logo and PT:Logo will take you to PortlandWiki talk:Logo. This will work for all pages that begin with "PortlandWiki" or "PortlandWiki talk", so this page can be linked to from PT:Community Portal. Let me know if you think any other aliases would be useful! -kotra (talk) 01:52, 6 May 2010 (UTC)
Usability Initiative tools
More information here: mediawikiwiki:Extension:UsabilityInitiative
- Kotra, I just took a peek at the new MediaWiki skin and the editing interface. I think transitioning PortlandWiki to the new skin is worthwhile just for the editing interface alone. Hopefully folks who may feel a bit intimidated by wiki markup would find the new editing tools helpful. WikiMaster (talk) 03:29, 18 May 2010 (UTC)
Rename Community Portal?
I don't think people know what to do with PortlandWiki:Community Portal and this discussion page, in part because "community portal" isn't a very inviting name. When I make the skin, I think the link to these pages should be a pretty visible button, but we should probably change the names to something simpler and more user-friendly too. Any ideas? My thoughts:
PortlandWiki:Community Portal is used partly as a place to help kick-start editing, and partly as a resource repository for interesting miscellanea relating to Portland, Oregon, and wikis. Maybe we could split this into the currently existing Help:Editing page, various mainspace articles as appropriate like Local media, and a PortlandWiki:Community page for the rest (like links to other wikis, random wiki-related interviews, etc).
Then, PortlandWiki talk:Community Portal (this page) could be merged with the Discussion page and moved to PortlandWiki:Talk or PortlandWiki:Discussion or PortlandWiki:Discuss etc... the stuff from several months ago could be archived and the stuff having to do with discussing the PortlandWiki:Community Portal page (like this section) moved to PortlandWiki talk:Community or whatever is the new name for the portal page.
PortlandWiki: an encyclopedia of Portland?
Skin, interface changes
So I've finally got Mediawiki updated to a version that allows the new Usability Initiative extension. Right now the only visible change is editing interface, which has a new toolbar with a bunch of helpful bits for navigating and using wiki code.
Next I will make Vector the default skin. Vector is used by Wikipedia and some other wikis. You can preview (or begin using) Vector by going into your preferences, the Appearance tab, and selecting Vector. I'll then start work on a customized version of Vector that sets us apart from Wikipedia et al, and reflects our local Portland scene. I'll base it mostly off the current logo, probably with long curves and bold red/rose/carnelian swaths. Some ideas that people have brought in the meetings are: shortcuts to key pages that encourage participation, like Special:NewPages, "create a new article" forms (for topics like Schools, Businesses, etc), and a more prominent "edit" button. Any and all suggestions for this skin are welcome! -kotra (talk) 20:57, 26 July 2010 (PDT)
Update: Vector is now the default skin. I'll start working on the PortlandWiki skin soon. As I'm working on it, it will be one of the skins you can choose in your preferences. It won't be the default skin until I get a lot of feedback on it and people are happy with it. -kotra (talk) 12:38, 5 August 2010 (PDT)
MM 1/17/2011 notes
A few notes from our discussion at the Monday Meet on January 17.
- commenting system on news posts, articles
- thumbs-up/star ability for diffs/edits, to build reputation
- number of stars visible on every user's userpage
- a ticker or widget for comments about stars or edits (combined with above?)
- PortlandWiki -> Twitter
- PortlandWiki -> RSS -> Twitter
- a News RSS feed?
- Update on Facebook fan page, like meeting announcements
WW notes 2011-02-02
Key points discussed:
- people will contribute to PortlandWiki because it's fun and enables them to share their knowledge, not because it's yet another outlet for their company's PR profile.
- outreach to business owners and organization managers will be a struggle until PW is much more popular as a consumed resource.
- outreach should be to normal, everyday people who edit for fun and who want to share their knowledge.
- this will be both more effective at gaining contributors, and will also create a more useful resource, since it won't merely duplicate the subject's website and PR efforts.
- This is the difference between a diverse collection of information, facts and viewpoints, and a simple directory of ads and business listings.
- A loose analogy might be Wikipedia's model of community driven collaboration and contribution compared to AboutUs's business-focused model.
MM 2/07/2011 notes
- barnraising proposal to edit, with or without "reward" or "sweeten the pot"
- more automated method for channeling invite messages through pdxwikiwedgg/portlandwikigg/twitter/facebook
- potential wikipedia/portlandwiki collaborative relationship? (Might Wikipedia be willing to allow space to announce or list local citywiki/civicwiki meetups.)
Mediawiki Update To Do List - Thursday, February 17, 2011
- Update core from 1.16.0beta3 to 1.16.2.
- 13:22 Pacific Standard Time: Core update now complete. Contributors may proceed with new edits.
- (Shows wget URL to download straight to directory.)
Extensions to update or remove.
- Advanced Meta [done]
- Widgets (Remove standalone instance; it's included with Semantic Bundle.)
- ConfirmEdit (Remove standalone instance; it's included with Semantic Bundle.)
Extensions to install.
Trying to find the email list for PortlandWiki, anyone know where it is?
I would be muchly grateful! Best, MarkDilley
- Mark - For some reason, I'm just noticing your message now. Did anyone ever get you the list? Do we even have such a list?
about password reset and have logged in! Success! MarkDilley