The Oregonian

From PortlandWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Oregonian is Portland's only remaining daily newspaper. It is the largest-circulation newspaper in Oregon and one of the nation's 25 largest daily papers by circulation.

The paper is owned by Advance Publications, part of the Newhouse family's chain of privately held media properties. Sister publications include the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Newark Star-Ledger and the Conde Nast magazine family, which includes The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Vogue and Wired.

History

The Oregonian began publishing in December of 1850, with Thomas Jefferson Dryer as the editor, having been brought from San Francisco to Portland by Stephen Coffin and Daniel Lownsdale. In 1860, Dryer paid off his debt to his printer, Henry Pittock, by giving him ownership of the newspaper. Harvey Scott was the editor of the paper from 1866 to 1872, and later returned as the editor-in-chief.

Stump.svg Stumps are short, minimal pages with only the most basic information.
Please help them grow by telling their story!